What Are Dentures?
Dentures are custom-made prosthetic devices that are designed to replace missing teeth and surrounding tissue. They can be full or partial, depending on the extent of tooth loss, and are typically made from acrylic or other materials. Dentures are removable and require proper care and maintenance to ensure they last as long as possible.
How Do Dentures Work?
The process of getting dentures typically involves the following steps:
- Consultation: Your dentist will examine your teeth and gums, take x-rays and impressions, and discuss your goals for treatment to determine whether dentures are right for you.
- Fitting: Your dentist will take measurements and impressions of your mouth to create custom-fit dentures that match the shape and size of your natural teeth and gums.
- Adjustment: Your dentist will make any necessary adjustments to ensure a comfortable and functional fit.
- Follow-up: After receiving your dentures, your dentist will schedule follow-up appointments to monitor your progress and ensure your continued oral health.
What Are the Benefits of Dentures?
Dentures offer numerous benefits, including:
- Improved appearance and self-confidence
- Restored ability to chew and speak properly
- Preventing further tooth loss and bone loss in the jawbone
- Non-invasive and cost-effective compared to other dental restoration options
- Customizable to fit your unique needs and goals
Aftercare for Dentures
After getting dentures, it’s important to take proper care of them to ensure they last as long as possible. Here are some tips for aftercare:
- Practice good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing your dentures daily and soaking them in a denture cleaner overnight.
- Avoid using abrasive materials or toothpaste on your dentures, as this can damage them.
- Avoid eating hard or sticky foods that could damage your dentures.
- Visit your dentist regularly for checkups and adjustments.
At Smiley Dental, we’re committed to helping you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile with dentures. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced dentists at any of our convenient locations.