What Is Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy, also known as endodontic treatment, is a procedure that involves removing damaged or infected tissue from inside the tooth and filling the space with a dental material. It’s typically performed to save a tooth that would otherwise need to be extracted due to damage or infection.
How Does Root Canal Therapy Work?
The process of getting root canal therapy typically involves the following steps:
- Consultation: Your dentist will examine your teeth and gums, take x-rays, and discuss your symptoms and treatment options to determine whether root canal therapy is right for you.
- Procedure: Your dentist will numb the affected tooth and use special tools to remove the damaged or infected tissue from inside the tooth. They will then clean and disinfect the area before filling it with a dental material and sealing it off.
- Restoration: After the root canal procedure, your dentist will place a crown or other restoration on the tooth to protect it and restore its function and appearance.
What Are the Benefits of Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy offers numerous benefits, including:
- Saving damaged or infected teeth from extraction
- Relieving pain and discomfort caused by tooth damage or infection
- Preventing the spread of infection to other parts of the mouth or body
- Improving oral health and function
- Restoring the appearance of the tooth with a crown or other restoration
Aftercare for Root Canal Therapy
After getting root canal therapy, it’s important to take proper care of the affected tooth to ensure it heals properly. Here are some tips for aftercare:
- Practice good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing twice a day and flossing daily.
- Avoid eating hard or sticky foods that could damage the restoration or tooth.
- Attend regular checkups with your dentist to monitor the tooth’s progress and ensure your continued oral health.
- Follow any post-treatment instructions provided by your dentist, such as taking prescribed medications or using special oral care products.
At Smiley Dental, we’re committed to helping you achieve a healthy, pain-free smile with root canal therapy. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced dentists.